Monday, October 8, 2012

Easy Apple Crisp

As my air conditioner hums away, I lose myself in that little corner of my mind that I have set up for fall now. We bought apple cider yesterday and you better believe that I warmed up a mug, added some cinnamon, sipped, and enjoyed.
Ahh yes, I can see the leaves coming down now.

So now I'm thinking that it's going to be full fledged fall cooking. Weather be damned. I have a really, really, really good imagination. This could work for me.

Our families new favorite dessert is apple crisps. We love it. Bailey finishes hers and then hovers around Arthur and I waiting for her next bite. We were making these soy free and dairy free by using Earth Balance Vegan Butter, but Bailey's symptoms have returned for the last few weeks and when I tried to introduce milk or soy products back into the diet, there's no changes. Not sure what that's all about since I thought for sure she was cured for the first two weeks of the trial. I'm afraid to start taking more out of her diet though without talking to a dietitian or seeing if the doctor will just go ahead with the allergy testing. It's been really frustrating. So for the next few weeks, we are just back to normal everyday eating seeings how it's not making a difference any way.

The recipe I've been using for the apple crisps (kind of) is from here. I made a few adjustments because hers is SUPER easy, but I never keep prepackaged oatmeal in the house, just the big tub of it. So we do it the long way. But never fear, this is still pretty stinking easy.

 
Apple Crisp
(Serves 4, about 200 calories)
 
 
Ingredients
2-4 medium sized apples
      
(I like pink lady’s mixed with granny smith)
2 teaspoons cinnamon, or to taste
1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
1 cup instant oatmeal
2 – 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
 
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cut apples into cubes into an 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle with ¼ to ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
  3. Sprinkle apples with half of the butter. (Does not need to cover the whole thing, just a small amount to keep apples moist during baking)
  4. In a separate bowl combine the oatmeal with the remaining cinnamon and brown sugar. Pour over apples.
  5. Sprinkle remaining butter over the top of the oatmeal.
  6.  Bake for 30-40 minutes.

 
I peel my apples for the simple fact that Bailey won't eat the peels, but you can leave them on and it's really just as delicious. Most nights we just eat it straight out of the oven like this, but last night...
 

 
we decided that we would go all out and have apple crisps a la mode! That's right! Melty, warm, delicious, right out of the oven. Like a warm apple pie...
 
My only problem is that I can't eat just one serving. But it's just oatmeal and apples, right? This could totally count for breakfast food! Right?! Oh well, I get a cheat day once (most days) a week.
 
And if you do just want one serving, just use about 1/4 to 1/3 of the recipe and put it in a small baking ramakin.
 
What's your favorite fall back dessert (HA no pun intended!!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment